Type Approval General Info
How to Apply
- Application form for Type Approval of Terminal Devices is available on PTA website. The application along with supporting documents/requirements may be submitted to PTA Headquarters F-5/1, Islamabad by postal mail or e-mail.
- Supporting documentation information for the Type Approval (as detailed in Required Documents below) and provide the same in soft copy format i.e. on a CD/DVD/USB etc.
About the Application Form
- Application can be made either by manufacturers or by their authorized distributors and separate application is required for each brand name and model. If model of the equipment changes, the applicant will need to get fresh type approval of that equipment from PTA. If the applicant is not the manufacturer of the equipment, then Authorization letter from the Manufacturer authorizing the applicant for Type Approval/sale and market in Pakistan.
Local Representation for Type Approval Applications
- The applicant may appoint a 3rd party/representative for processing of the type approval application and to represent them at PTA.
Samples for Testing
Applicant is required to submit a sample quantity (1) along with the application for type approval to be used for testing and evaluation by the PTA. Furthermore, PTA will return the sample if the applicant will provide the documentary evidence from the manufacture reflecting manufacturing price to be more than USD 3000.
- The applicant shall provide the following as part of Type Approval Application
|Undertaking from applicant that PTA Regulations/Directives will be followed||Mandatory|
|Sample Quantity (1)||Mandatory|
|After Sales Service Facility/Customer Service Center||Mandatory|
|In case of a new company NTN, SECP, City Government, Company Profile etc. details where applicable||Mandatory|
|Declaration of Conformity (DoC) by the manufacturer reflecting the applied device standards e.g. RF, Safety, SAR, EMC/EMI etc.||Mandatory|
|Type Access Code (TAC) certificate from GSMA Association for IMEI/SIM supported devices e.g. GSM/UMTS/WCDMA/LTE/4G etc.||Mandatory|
|Authorization letter from manufacture for the appointed local Distributor(s)||Mandatory|
|Undertaking from manufacturer that device being type approved is for mass produce consumer purpose only and all native applications installed do not support any customized in-built encryption as part of its primary device functions. Provided that PTA reserves the right to forward relevant device information to concerned government bodies for evaluation/clearance as and when deemed necessary||Mandatory|
|Undertaking from manufacturer that sanctity/privacy of the user data shall be ensured||Mandatory|
|Technical Data Sheet, reflecting Specifications for the device e.g. output power, operating frequency, range etc.||Mandatory|
|OS Report for Mobile devices||As and when required by PTA|
|Test Reports for standards reflected within DoC||Detailed test reports for standards reflected within Declaration of Conformity shall be submitted to PTA as and when required e.g. RF, Safety, SAR, EMC/EMI etc.|
Type Approval /Testing Fee
- The Authority Charges Application Processing Fee (Non-Refundable) and Type Approval Certificate Fee separately. The application processing fee is in Pak Rupees equivalent to US$100 for local and imported equipment respectively and is non-refundable. The type approval fee for each category is separate and mentioned in Equipment Categories and Fee Structure. The amount has to be deposited to PTA in the form of pay order / demand draft. Particulars of bank account are as under:
- Beneficiary Name: Pakistan Telecommunication Authority
- Beneficiary Account No: NIDA11
- Beneficiary Address: PTA, Head Quarters, F-5/1, Islamabad
- Currency: US $ or Equaling Pak Rupees.
- Bank Name: National Bank of Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Bank address: Jinnah Avenue Branch, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Bank Branch Code: 1628
- Bank Swift Code: NBPAPKKAA02i.
PTA Accredited Test Laboratories
- The Authority will accept Test Reports issued by a world-renowned Laboratories. The tests conducted by the international accredited laboratories are accepted for type approval. PTA reserves the right to get any product retested if required. Local manufacturers are recommended to get their equipment tested from Air-Weapon Complex (AWC) laboratories.
- Details for Acceptable Technical Standards is available here
Type Approval At Module Level
- If approval is required for a module which may be used in more than one product or model, then the applicant is required to submit a testable module with all other conformance reports. No further type approval is required prior module level type approval has been obtained.
ISM Band For WLAN, Bluetooth Etc
- Approved ISM band for Wireless equipment operating on non-interferences basis are 2.4-2.5 GHz and from 5.725-5.850 GHz and output power of up to 30dBm.
- Industrial Scientific and Medical (ISM) bands comprising 2.4-2.5 GHz and 5.725-5.875 GHz may be used free of charge by CVAS Data and Local Loop on Non-Interference Basis (NIB) with following restrictions on power limits:
- Commercial/ non-commercial (Public/Private) use for establishing Wi-Fi hot spot. Maximum EIRP of 30 dBm for each of the following bands: Ø Commercial/ non-commercial (Public/Private) use for establishing Wi-Fi hot spot. Maximum EIRP of 30 dBm for each of the following bands:
- 2.4-2.5 GHz
- 5.725-5.875 GHz
Identity of Terminal Equipment that is type approved by PTA
- In order to verify that the terminal equipment being sold commercially is a type approved model, the type approval holder will place a verifiable sign (Paper or Electronic embedded within the software) with following details at a minimum on each type approved terminal equipment as follows:
(a) Unique Type Approval number issued by PTA and verifiable sign reflecting Approved by PTA.
- Manufacturer(s)/ authorized distributor(s)/ importer(s)/dealer(s) shall, specify through a verifiable sign (Paper or Electronic embedded within the software) that the terminal equipment offered by them is "Approved by PTA”.
- Type Approval holder using electronic identification sign shall ensure that type approved device equipped with an integrated electronic display screen, or a device without an integrated screen that can only operate in conjunction with a device that has an electronic display screen will show on the electronic display the PTA Identifier that equipment is type approved.